Saturday, February 22, 2014

Slices of Life















Just a few little slices I've collected over the past month.
 
1| The early morning moonset of the Full Leo Moon 2| My wedding ring and a favorite tweed coat in the foggy afternoon light preceding that last snow storm 3| Valentine's Glitter Feathers 4| Rising sourdough loaf 5| Awkward tired mom self portrait through the looking glass  6| Maxine's with a Girlfriend  7| Full Moon/Full Heart  8| Vintage Liz Claiborne Wool Silk blend skirt  9| Streamers in the wind  10|  Sunset Heart  11| Wood Blackbird

9 comments:

Tammi said...

I'm a big feather fan and totally love what you've done here. A short tutorial would be fun or a link to one. What kind of paint? They don't glop together (like my fancy term?)?

You take the best selfies.

That carved bird. I love. Did you make it?

All of these pics leave me wanting more. Nice collection.

Christal said...

Having read your comment on Dig's last post, I felt the need to pop out to your web site/blog and cancel out a negative comment or two.

1. I smiled when I opened your page to Slices of Life because I love looking at the moon and you captured a beautiful view.
2. Then I looked at the next photo and smiled some more because your ring reminds me of a favorite ring that I have - delicate with tiny details in the silver and a sparkle of blue/green Montana sapphire that I enjoy so much. And the tweed fabric showing behind your hand is almost the same pattern as one of my favorite skirts from high school.
3. Then the glitter caught my eye... as a former pre-school teacher, I do love glitter ... and dye... and feathers.
4.You know the importance of balloons, and crowns, and streamers.
5. Your photos are freaking gorgeous.
6. And you have wooden sleds in your posts.
7. And you talk food... good food... gluten free...with coconut oil.
8. And now I've bookmarked you! To sneakily read the other posts as a treat... when I really should be doing my homework but need a break from Macroeconomics and Public Administration ... for some whimsy and joy.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is why you get neg comments. It's pretty, sure, but feels so forced and try-hard. The moody selfie, the "vintage" (wtf?) Liz Claiborne skirt with hand just so, glittered feathers, etc. I'm sure you're very nice, but this is like twee blogger cliche porn.

Nicolette Gawthrop said...

I think that it's fun to imagine that Anonymous is actually one being- this dark and cloudy all-knowing super cranky being that likes to show up on good days and just spill their franzia all over my twee crochet table cloth.

Dear Anonymous:

I quit you. You are no longer welcome here. One click of the comments setting options and you're 86'd, bitch.

A couple of things: I'm not that nice.

Definition: The term vintage is used to describe clothing between 20 and 100* years old which is clearly representitive of the era in which it was produced. Vintage clothing can be used, new (from dead stock), manufactured, and handmade.
It is important to understand that the definition of vintage is fluid, so every decade brings forth new items as "vintage". It is also important to understand that all vintage will eventually become antique.

*Clothing 100 years old or more is classified as antique

-This skirt's label is from the 80s. it is vintage.
-My hand is on my 1960s tweed coat.
-twee is not insulting
-you sound like an asshole.

Melina said...

Christal-

I'm writing you here, in response to the comment you left me on Nici's blog. Thank you for spreading so much kindness. I really need to hear it. You are a wonderful person.

xoox
lina

Nicolette Gawthrop said...

Yes, Christal. Your comment really made me smile. I feel like a turd that I responded to Anonymous before acknowledging your kindness. Thank You. XO

Alannah said...

Nico - in following with our "conversation" from a few days ago...

I just left this comment on Nici's blog and perhaps you might find it helpful too?

My good friend Lori has been writing proficiently and powerfully for years. She recently referred to an old post of hers where, whenever something bad happens to her, she yells "PLOT TWIST!" and it momentarily helps her deal with the bad shit. She's wonderful, btw (link to post: http://www.pillbugqueen.com/blog/plot-twist/

As for my unsolicited advice? Please just ignore any anonymous comments. Truly - do not give them your energy. Focus on portraying your life online in a way that feels good to you. Delete the comments, too. There's nothing wrong with that. Remove negativity. This is YOUR corner of the internet and you can do that!

As for what we talked about on Friday...still interested in composing something for me? Might be interesting to think about the similarities/differences in the community you are involved with here in Fayetteville vs. the virtual community you are a part of online...perhaps something along those lines?

Angela said...

i always love to read your posts. what i do not love is seeing the mean-spirited comments by anonymous assholes. this is your little corner of the interwebs and there are far more people that love and appreciate you for who you are and what you choose to share.
Sidenote-i am LOVING your images. that nifty fifty steps it up, no?

Nicolette Gawthrop said...

Yes, Angela! I love the fitty! I've not taken it off since getting it!
As always, thanks so much for your support. You are a great lady
Xo