My Father in Law gave us a juicer a few years back and we loved it. We had many an episode of morning carrot juice blends for breakfast- the juicing phases came and went like most little kicks folks get on. When we grew weary of the routine assembly, disassembly and cleaning of the super fine metal mesh pieces and moved out of one of those kicks, our juicer tended to hide in the cupboard and collect dust. Those really Good habits we try to form are usually the ones that are harder to stick. So we returned the machine to Jerrmy's Dad.
Everything was honky-dory until a month or so ago when I was feeling a little crumby and had a fierce craving for ginger juice. We had no juicer for to juice but, alas, there sat a vitamix blender on my counter and a hand of ginger in the basket- so I got creative.
Now, I've since Googled 'Blender Juicing' and have come to find that it's actually a "thing." I didn't know that this was the case when I trial and error'd my way to a glass of health, and I've still yet to read any of the how-to's on Google- there are many offerings here in Internet Land, folks, and I'm going to go ahead and add my little post to the mix.
It's pretty simple: pick ingredients, add water, blend, and strain.
For this juicing photo series, I used
- about 8g of raw, peeled ginger
- a handful of cilantro leaves (coriander/chinese parsley)
- 2 pink lady apples (cored and sliced)
- juice of one lemon (squeeze juice in separate ramekin to spare yourself fishing for seeds)
- an ounce or two of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (totally optional, adds a little twang/ it's healthy)
- raw honey (I put a tablespoon or two)
- 3 cups of water
- a sprinkle of turmeric and cayenne or paprika (also optional, but also super healthy)
![]() |
| Read about the Health benefits of Ginger HERE |
![]() |
| Read about the Health Benefits of Cilantro HERE |
I had a Very "Helpful" assistant:
![]() |
| Read about the Health Benefits of the powerful antioxidant, Turmeric HERE |
![]() |
| Guess what? Cayenne is super HEALTHY TOO |
Once you've peeled and chopped your goodies, add a few cups of water- let process in your blender for a minute or two, then pour through whatever strainer you like best. My first few attempts were filtered with the nut milk bag I use when making almond milk, but after trying my wire mesh strainer I haven't gone back.
You can add more or less water to taste. You can add more or less of any of it to taste, really. I happen to like more water because I feel it adds a little pizazz to meeting my water quota for the day, and I feel it is easier on my system. One thing that I have trouble with when juicing is it kind of messing with my blood sugar. I don't identify with any allopathic diagnosis for blood sugar disorders but I have always struggled with crashing after intaking juices or smoothies. This is not an area of health that I am educated on, and am only sharing my experience. The watery blender juice is my friend, that's all I'm saying. Also, Apple Cider Vinegar? If you are not an already seasoned drinker of the stuff, I'd steer clear until you've tempered yourself. Jerrmy and I used to take shots of ACV in the kitchen at Greenhouse Grille for kicks like little crazy health-nutty party animals. That was pretty silly of us, but we are now super tolerant.
At last, I arrive at my favorite part of blender juicing: the clean up is super easy. Simply rinsing the blender and strainer and carrying on. No disassembly. No magnetic keys that are easily misplaced. And One Less Hunk of Machine to store. I like it, folks.
***
Just as I began my little Blender Juicing kick, the guys around here started dropping off like flies to winter viruses. First Jerrmy had the flu, followed by Jasper (who I nursed and slept next and got coughed on... in my mouth) and I never fell ill, swilling these hippy waters daily. Then I let up and skipped a few days last week and caught a cold (which I think was part slacking and part repercussion of my bragging to anyone who would listen about my ginger drinks and said flu avoidance.) Yesterday, I was feeling pretty crumby, but after a strong Ginger/Lime/Honey/Turmeric booster I'm about 95% back to good health. Guys! I'm a believer! And I hope this little Vita-Juice Kick sticks!











6 comments:
Oh my god, the JUICE did not keep you from catching a cold. Are you slow?
Listen. Anonymous! The next time you fall ill with the common cold, give this one a try. You'll see.
No, I'm not a genius, but Ginger is a genius offering of the Earth!
CHEERS!!!
I am definitely trying this soon! I go in spurts wth juicing...clean up is a drag and it takes so much produce to get a small amount of juice. Have you found anything useful to do with the leftover pulp?
Enjoying browsing your blog! Booo to the mean comments on your posts though. There is no shame in deleting them! Just mean spirited folk who don't deserve your time or space on your blog.
You inspire me all the time! Really loved these photos too!
I should've read this before I started "blender juicing" ....chunky juice was not my thang :) guess I'll try it again with my strainer. Good idea :)
(I do feel sorta dumb letting anybody know I didn't think of straining it myself)
Hey I'm going back in time to try to find your almond milk tutorial and found this gem too. I just started taking turmeric in capsules for my chronic back pain and got some for my grandmother for her arthritis. If we can heal ourselves with nourishing foods then why the hell shouldn't we??
Post a Comment