Thursday, November 19, 2015

We're having a baby... GIRL!








We're having a baby... and it's a GIRL. After two surprise-ending pregnancies that blessed us with much-loved and desired little boys, we found ourselves a little less willing to wait to til the end this time around. I found out that I was expecting in late July and since then we have been pretty certain that we'd need to know what were are in for- not that I think a boy and girl children are really all that different. (Let's be honest they kind of are, though.) Something within me, at least, needed to know to prepare. 

Honestly, it was my heart's desire to conceive a daughter and while I know that having healthy children comes first, I cannot shy away from the truth of that matter that it is the adult relationship with a female-child that I most felt I'd miss in this life if I did try one more time for the opportunity to experience it. So when the technician at our 20 week sonogram scanned down to the baby's bottom and I did not see any boy parts, I did burst into some very real tears. Calling her a her and saying she make my tummy do a little jump for joy. I cannot even believe it. And it's not because I'm surrounded by three dudes, either- I happen to have some very well versed in the ways of gals guys, because I make it my mission around here. We shy away from gender stereotypes and try our best to never place our sex organ assignments above our human-ness.

I am a feminist, a humanist- who believes that we are all equal and valid. My boys like tea parties and pink and dresses among their rowdiness and in between pretending every other item in the house is a blaster, they cuddle their pretend animal babies and put them to bed. I can't recall ever having once told my sons something that they were interested in was, "for girls." They are gentle and curious and kind humans, I am beyond grateful for them. They look up to a lot of strong, smart little ladies and while they are rough and tumble for the most part, their birthday party guest lists are comprised mostly of their female peers. And in the same vein, these sons of ours have never been made to feel that their emotions or more gentle sensibilities are not for them because they are male. I don't know why I feel the need to go into all of this- perhaps because I want it to be clear that as much as I can say that I wanted this baby to be a girl, that doesn't make my feelings about equality or that fact that I have two little boys already, less relevant. 

It's not really the frilly pink overly fem things that I felt I'd miss, I think, had the baby been a boy. There is something to be said for the mysteries of girlhood and womanhood that only a woman and female child can understand of each other. I do not really have a first hand experience of being a little boy and am often asking my husband and dad what it was like for them as a male child in order to kind of have a reflective adult's perspective to relate to my sons. Who knows, though, this child that is coming is a person who will belong to themselves and I will just be their guider, their secret-sharer in and of womanhood, and hopefully we can celebrate being ladies together- I'm excited for the challenge and new experience. Well, and girl power. 

;;;

I think this series of photos of the guys with pink roses is just darling and hilarious. They weren't really that into it, but you can't tell from some of the pics- and then some you really can. My favorite quote was from Jasper (who said it again when he saw the pics again this morning) "It's like we're getting May-weed!"


No comments: