Monday, October 6, 2014

Sunday with Sons



After a delicious Sunday brunch, we said good-day to the husband/dad who had a work engagement til after dark, and set out to spend the better part of the day at a local artist's community.  The sign at the intersection of the highway pictures a little Bluebird of Happiness and an arrow reads "This way to a wonderland of art!"

Everyone was a little bit over-tired, weaving in and out discomforts and protest and laughter and wonder.

We ate a brownie next to the pond and I drank watery coffee with a faulty ratio of creamer which I prepared in a frenzy trying to to keep the boys from running wild through the gift shop full of glass.

We crossed the bridges and enjoyed the warm afternoon sunshine and the shadows it made. We stayed too long, and I took too many pictures. We made our way around the grounds twice and had a snack-picnic on a blanket.

There were spiders. There were a lot of spiders, and I probably would not have even noticed had the boys not pointed every. single. spider. out. In a scared, get as close to the spider as possible, and repeat in a high pitched whine-alarm way: spiderspiderspiderspider. I managed to be polite until something like spider #17, when I kind of snapped a little- in front of strangers. Of course.

Each son made a wish in the wizard cave and expected their material wishes to... well, materialize.  (Lou wished for a big Millennium Falcon, while Jasper just said "cupcake," to which Loukas amended- one HUNDRED cupcakes) "Now let's go find my wish."

As we searched for their wish-loot, I explained the open-endness of wishes and their coming-true-timeliness, and the boys made up a game where they offered magic crystals to the door where the wizard must be hiding behind. They called out to run this way and that and even managed to wriggle open an off limits gate while I was looking the other way.  The mission was to find their prizes, and I grumbled, a bit stressed that they might meltdown over the fact that the wishes weren't to be coming true that day, trying to offer verbal cushions to the blow that I saw coming.  Until I realized... they were pretending.

1 comment:

Tammi said...

Love your honesty in this post. And the pictures? Well, you are just getting better every single day at picture taking. Bravo! Thanks for sharing your Sunday.