Now, I need to tell you that it is my instinct to want to just unload all kinds of commentary regarding the discomforts and long hours and lack of family time that has been our summer, but I'm not going to do that. I'm going to resist my urge to complain- something that comes very naturally to me, the act of complaining. Usually after a good session of focusing on the negative, I feel like shit and guilty because when it comes down to brass tacks- I have found myself living a very charming little life, and the things that I have to complain about... well, they aren't necessarily legitimate. On the scale of human suffering- what I've got going on here- my woes pretty much don't even make it to the chart or graph or whatever. Plus, it seems that when we waller in our misery (in my case phantom-misery) it does nothing for lifting the spirit.
I noticed this the other day when I called my Dad after dropping the kids at their three-mornings-a-week play school program. My intention was to call him and whine and maybe get a little pep-talk, but instead- we talked about him. We talked about him pretty exclusively. The supplements he was about to ingest before heading out the gym for his work out, what kind of coffee he likes to drink, the dermatologist his is seeing, and current events (which as you likely well aware, are quite humbling to say the least.) I couldn't really get a complaint in edgewise, and you know what? I felt great for the rest of the day! Maybe it's just because I really miss my Dad (he lives across the country and we don't visit much) and I have always been a big fan of his so maybe it was just that, but a full hour of not thinking about my 'problems,' and listening was just what I needed.
Which leads me to this little place where I get to recount and share the joy. I've kept quiet around here recently because I've been a little ashamed of what I've been wanting to write. Which isn't to say that I'm not venting to a few people here and there. Well, and my husband gets an ear full at least once a day (followed by an apology call, and reassurance and supportive words and such and such.) Because there have been long hours and little time to be together- but there's been some. There's been a lack of vacation and no weekends to speak of- but there will be. And here and there we sneak in mini-sessions of weekend-like things, and all day everyday- there are moments that I am disarmed by the adorableness of my two boys... and, of course, I capture it when I can.
***
After wrangling the boys to bed a couple of nights ago, I found myself french mopping the bathroom linoleum surrounding the toilet. You know, the method where you use wet rags with your feet to do the mopping. I don't know if that's actually what the technique is called but a lady referred to it as such once and now I do, too. Because I love culture. I digress. Daily pee cleans, along with coffee in the morning are rituals around here. Whilst working my toes into the corners where the baseboards meet the dreaded poly floor surface, abducting and adducting my leg in a fashion not unlike the New York City Ballet Workout Video I checked out from the library and did the once, I had the craziest thought. Instead of my usual, "cuss cuss cuss... urine...cuss cuss," I heard myself think, "Well, I sure am grateful for the use of my legs and feet." I was surprised and pleased with this thinking. And, can you believe it? There's so much more...
I am grateful that we are all well. (after a summer cold that was preceded by a fever virus)
I am grateful that we have everything we need and more.
I am grateful for hot baths in essential oils while the kids are at play school.
I am grateful for coffee dates with girlfriends. (I am so grateful for coffee dates with girlfriends)
I am grateful for this mild summer we have enjoyed. The rain has been lovely.
I am grateful for chicken eggs (the chicken turds, not so much)
I am grateful for my eyesight.
I am grateful for my camera.
I am grateful for clean water.
I am grateful for a supportive community.
I am grateful to be married to a person who accepts my humanity.
So there's that. There's gratitude, and it seems it's winning, slowly but surely.
And I think I'll call my Dad more often.
Thanks for checking in.




















4 comments:
What a refreshing and beautiful perspective. A great reminder to little 'ole me. Life can get me down, but when I read words like this…well, life gets a new lens. Thank you, my dear. Beautiful and refreshing.
Hello, I've followed you on instagram for a while but this is the first time I've visited your blog. I actually needed to read these words today, and I will think back to your perspective when my current woes threaten to bring me down again. Because you're absolutely right. There is so much to be grateful for.
gorgeous post, in words and images. ps, loving your post processing on these!
dear dear nico,
i love you so much. thank you for what this post did to my thoughts just now. grateful, grateful, grateful.
shawn joy
Post a Comment