I'm trying to recall the last time I actually left my house. Today, I had every intention of running errands with the boys, but after several mis-fires of our take-off, and running into nap time for the little one, we ended up staying in for another hot August day. Luckily the boys had their little school on Monday and Tuesday while I stayed at home recovering from a summer sinus cold that I'm having trouble shaking. I feel like it's been since Saturday that I actually drove my car! Yikes...
So, today- like so many days this summer- was kind of wash, but I completed a few things that I was behind on, and after little Bear woke from his three hour nap- we did the usual chicken tending to. He loves his chickens, and today got a good look at Blondie (who will soon return to her home coop outback behind the birth hut where I visited for home birth prenatals with both boys) readying her nest to lay an egg. I think she got a little stressed out, and we ended up leaving her in peace to do her thing. Both our little boys sure do love to take for their "ditch," the little Jasper word for chickens.

We are in the midst of slowly weaning our little 2 1/2 year old from breast feeding. And I say slowly because that's the pace he has set. Starting with night time (that's right, this little boy would "nuss" (nurse) all night if I let him) and we are wanting to take as much time as is necessary to have a gentle experience, but it's not exactly feeling that way. Gentle I mean. It's going slowly, but he is a fighter and that wears us out. Some nights are better than others, but in the midst of what could be one of the busiest time of our life, this guys' night nursing walking papers are not being served with the most compliance.
I'll tell you... this kid gives us run for our money- he climbs the cabinets the second you leave the room and rummages for snacks, his favorite at the moment are raisins and nuts, figs and watermelon, and these raw oat bars that we buy pre made. (It just dawned on me as I'm typing this that it might serve us well to make him his own down-low snack shelf.) He is very curious and assertive and very very crafty- BUT. He is also super super loving and sweet. The melt-in-to-you hugs and the kindness and empathy that he displays at just 2 1/2 years old is pretty impressive. But he's also scrappy and thinks he is the boss. It's tough being so little with all these ideas and initiatives and to be constantly redirected and told no. One thing that is a certain is that this little guy thrives when he is kept busy- and especially when he is outside. We remind ourselves that this little Bear is new here. We are all relatively new here, if you think about it. Just trying to figure all these life-customs out as we go. I know I'm still learning and it's very steep learning curve when little kids' are involved! That's for sure.
Happy Mid-week to you. Hope your life lessons are gentle and kind to you this week.
Tomorrow, I break out from the comfort of my home!











1 comment:
oh my, our 2 year olds are kindred spirits. there are nights I feel like an all night-nurse buffet. I haven't even tried weaning yet, I just... I just don't even know if it'll happen by three! we're working on potty training, and that's *more* than enough for now! :-D
Post a Comment