Friday, December 27, 2013

There Snow Sugar Cookies


Growing up in Southern California, Christmas was never a snowy wintery affair.  White Christmases never happened and now that I think back to singing Jingles Bells and the other snow influenced christmas carols at lunch room assembly, I'm feeling a little silly.  Although, Fog was dense when it settled in the San Joaquin Valley, so really, I guess, White Christmases were a possibility- just not the white in Christmas Carol question.  

It Snowed in the mountains surrounding our farming valley, so there was a snow culture that I heard tell of, kids who received expensive gear and gear related apparel as Christmas gifts and went skiing- or snowboarding rather- with their families over the holiday etc, (boarding of all varieties- skate, snow, wake- were very popular with boys and girls my age in high school and according to the photos of people of that I went to school with back home that I see on social media, the gear related to board sports apparel is still a trendy look)  but that was never a thing we did.  My mom and step-dad drove my sister, three brothers (there would eventually be six brothers, by the way) to the mountains with our two little cousins to find some snow to sled in for an hour or two.  I remember the goofy laughter and concern for my brothers' safety and my face growing red my nose running and the want to get warm superseding the joy of sledding as a preteen.

  White or no, the average temperature around Christmas time in Bakersfield, California is that of a warm day here in the Ozarks.  So, this year felt a lot like my childhood Christmases- weatherwise, I mean.   The sun shone and the high was in the fifties.  But that was about the only connection to my childhood.  There were no cousins or multi-destination cruises around town to stop in and open presents, score a candy cane or two (I preferred the mini ones to the full size), visit with extended family, and eat a piece of pie.  In fact, there was no pie.  Or candy for that matter.  One of these years, I am going to master some baked goods for our dietary needs, and I've attempted in the past, but we skipped the sweets this year.  No one really noticed, although mid-day, I could have used a frosted sugar cookie or two cause this Mrs. Claus was pretty darn tired!  I can't hang with the sleep deprivation like I used to!!!  I was up past mid night arranging for a fun morning. 

{{a few shots from our Christmas morning and the slow day after, tinkering around with our new toys and playing with my new 50mm lens that was a delightful surprise!}}





















 



















{1-5} Christmas morning tid-bits: cute little floor messes, fun new toys.  The thrifted play register that I was happy to see them enjoy, the black and white kitty that Loukas dreamed up a couple weeks ago and has been carrying around, including in most his little boy doings  {5-15} Christmas Afternoon scenes- playing around with my new lens- I'm very excited to learn more and am happy with how these photos are turning out!  All while wearing my handcrafted leather suspenders, no less!  We ate Antelope Burgers on Brioche for lunch and I enjoyed a fancy beer followed by a long, much needed Christmas Nap.  For Dinner we sipped large bowls of Duck Pho, (the stock was made from a duck we roasted last week) There's something so beautiful about simmering Pho broth.  The spices and vegetables.  A very favorite of ours. {16-33}  Again, playing with my new lens on the Day After Christmas, the husband went to work and we enjoyed a slow day of piddling around the house, clearing away the Clutter of leftover Christmas messes, I tried the tea Jerrmy's Dad Gifted me, and re-read Santa's note to the boys aloud to remind them about begin good to each other and encourage gratitude- which is pretty abstract, still for their four and nearly two years.  I love the shot of Jasper in our bed:  no matter how many toys my kids acquire, their first love is our bed.  


Wishing you the best of Holidays with you are yours, Snow or no. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Were they taken with your new lens? Looks like you guys had a fun Holiday :) hey- I accidentally hit unfollow on your instagram profile while trying to find your blog (clumsy fingers!) and since you are private it wouldn't let me follow you again without a request. Sorry about that! I definitely want to keep following your lovely feed!
Jodean

Laura said...

Beautiful! I LOVE the tea and spice shop in Bentonville. Looks like you got some yummy treats from there! Merry merry to you guys!

Unknown said...

Love, Love, Love! Your pics are beautiful!